Healthy, filling and low in calories, chia seeds pudding makes a perfect breakfast. Besides the health benefits, it is made easily. You need only few minutes to make it. Plus, you can keep it in the fridge for few days.
Chia seeds were not so accessible until few years ago, but now you can buy them almost everywhere. They are very popular but still there are tons of people who haven’t tried it yet. You can find them in black and white color but the difference between the two colors, however, is negligible. Both contain essentially the same amount of omega-3, protein, fiber, and other nutrients. So we come to a conclusion that the main difference is in color.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are whole grains that can be absorbed in our body as seeds, unlike the flax-seed. 2 tablespoons contain 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber. They also contain certain amount of vitamins and minerals. Their mild, nutty flavor makes them easy to add to foods and beverages. You can sprinkle them on cereals, sauces, vegetables, rice dishes, or yogurt or mixed into drinks and baked goods. So, you can incorporate them into your diet easily, and the benefits of it are numerous:
- a lot of nutrients for your body in very few calories
- a lot of antioxidants
- a lot of fiber
- a lot of high quality proteins
- due to high water absorption, they can make you feel full and eat less, so it can help to those who want to lose weight
- high in omega-3 fatty acids
- excellent energy booster
Chia Seeds Pudding Recipe
There are tons of chia seeds pudding recipes, but they are all really variations to the basic chia seeds pudding recipe. Here is a basic recipe that you can make within minutes, and once you learn to make it, you can make all the rest.
Basic Chia Seeds Pudding Recipe – Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 cups of milk according to your taste (I prefer almond or coconut, but you can use whichever you want. you can use different types of juices, either. Beet juice is my favorite, and I get pretty colored pink pudding )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup, or any sweetener that you use
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bigger bowl, and give it a good stir, to be sure the seeds don’t stick together and make lumps. So, break all the lumps for nice and creamy texture.
- Leave it aside for 5 minutes and then stir it once again.
- After that, put the bowl in a fridge and let it sit for 1 – 2 hours. You can it it in 20 minutes if you are in a hurry, but I always like to make it the evening before and leave it in the fridge overnight. It only takes a moment in the evening, and it speeds me up in the morning a lot.
- This amount is enough for 2 serving, so you will decide your amounts according to this basic recipe.
I like to mix it with fruits, berries, to make layered smoothies… options are numerous.
The truth is that you can combine chia seeds with anything you like, because it doesn’t have any taste and it tastes like the foods you combine it with. I put it in soups, in sauces, even in healthy no bake granola bars.