You all know that there’s not such a thing as a magical wand that solves your weight problems and leads to ideal figure. If you want to lose weight permanently, without yo-yo effect, you should choose gradual but everlasting diet and lifestyle. What does this mean? It means that firstly, you should think positively about your new way of eating and combining food; and secondly, to think of it not as of punishment, but challenge.
I know all of you have tried numerous diets that your friends, cousins or colleagues have recommended, but you did not have long-lasting effects. That is because every single organism has its own ways of reacting to different food, eating and exercising. That is the right reason to listen to what your body is telling you, i.e. avoid foods that makes you vomit, or feel bad in any way. If you have to lose weight, the best way is to ask a nutritionist for advice. Here, in this article, we’ll remind you of the greatest delusions about diets, we are very often prone to forgetting.
- Rigorous diets have excellent effects! The first delusion about diets is this one. Such diets can be counter-productive. You can lose weight, but after a while, you’ll put on even more than you have lost. Say that you have been eating 2.000 kcal a day, and then you suddenly cut it to 1.000 kcal.It is clear that your body will suffer a shock and it will desperately try to keep fat. The best way is to start with cutting your calories slowly but surely. That way, your fat will start to melt.
- While we famish, body toxins are likely to be eliminated! While we famish, body toxins are likely to be eliminated!This is even worse delusion. If you chose a very low-caloric diet, you’ll be suffering from elevated levels of ketone bodies in your blood, occurring when the liver converts fats into fatty acids and ketone bodies (which can be used by all of the body for energy as an alternative to glucose). Ketone bodies can have bad effects on nervous system.
- Food substitutions are useful! It is true that we are literally bombarded with commercials and ads of food substitutions, and yes- they are so attractive and so very, very convincing, starting with different kinds of pills, tablets, meals-substitutions in the most different form. But, remember that real food is the healthiest food and option for you! The best ways to supply our bodies with necessary nutritives are to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, to take in enough liquid, fibers, minerals and proteins.
- You should tell everyone that you are on a diet! We already told you that you should think of your diet as of new, healthy lifestyle and goal to reach, rather than as of a punishment for previous overeating. Do not repeat to yourself few times a day that you are on a diet, do not tell yourselves that you are not allowed to eat something, DO NOT MAKE YOURSELVES TENSIONS ABOUT IT! It is better to make yourselves daily menus to avoid temptations of sweets and other forbidden food. It is even worse if you tell others that you are trying to lose weight. All of them will definitely tempt you to try “just this one sweet/ cookie/ ice-cream/ chocolate bar etc.” because it won’t kill you. It maybe won’t kill you, but it will ruin all your efforts, and it will be as if you are starting your diet all over again, which means literally that it will again slow your metabolism. It’s up to you to decide!
- Evening meals are more dangerous than daily meals! Timing is not important as much the amount and the combination of foods you are eating. Great many is likely to grab something and nibble it while watching TV in the evening. The amount of food eaten this way is directly proportional to the amount of boringness in the evening, people usually go for chips, crackers, biscuits…all of them veeeeery caloric. The best way for you is to have 5 meals a day, on every 3-4 hours.
- Sweets are bad for figure! And for the end- to cheer you up a little, this is not a complete delusion! But, we’ll make a compromise. Sweets in small amounts won’t do you harm. If you want to eat ice-cream, do not punish yourselves because of it. Eat a smaller portion and do not spend the rest of the day panically weighting yourselves and counting calories. Be cool about it!